07 June 2017 09:54

Shootings in Iran's parliament and Khomeini's Mausoleum: 12 dead, many injured

Gunmen and a suicide bomber have carried out apparently coordinated attacks on Iran’s parliament and the Khomeini Mausoleum in Tehran.


A pair of attacks in Iran’s capital Tehran this morning left 12 people dead and dozens more injured.

The attacks on the parliament building and the tomb of the republic’s founder, Ayatollah Khomeini, are the worst attacks in Tehran in decades.

The attackers opened fire and took a number of hostages before all four attackers were killed by security forces. ISIS is claiming responsibility.

The armed men walked to gate one of Iran’s Parliament at about 10:15 AM this morning and charged at the security guards. The armed men shot and injured some of the secuirty guards. No information is yet available of the identity of the shooter. 

Following the attack, the entrance and exit gates to the Parliament’s halls have been closed to reporters, and a number of lawmakers have left to investigate the incident.

It is reported that the three armed men have fled to the north building of parliament where the office of lawmakers is located, and are currently based there.

One of the four attackers has been arrested, According to Hossein Naghavi Hosseini, Spokesman for the Iranian Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee. 

The other three are still inside the building housing lawmakers’ offices.

The gunmen reportedly were among a protest gathering of depositors of Caspian credit institution in front of the Parliament. One gunman has reportedly opened fire and injured three civilians.

One of the gunmen has been reportedly identified as a suicide bomber and is currently surrounded by security force.

Gunmen have now reportedly taken into the streets around Parliament, opening fire. Civilians are lying on the ground in an attempt to avoid gunshots.

Interior Minister Rahmani Fazli has issued an order for holding an extraordinary security session in Tehran to investigate the shooting incidents at the Parliament and the Mausoleum of Imam Khomeini.

At least one of the gunmen is reportedly hiding on the second floor of the northern building. Latest reports indicate two of the gunmen have been surrounded by security forces on one of the floors in the parliament.

At least one of the gunmen is reportedly hiding on the second floor of the northern building. Latest reports indicate two of the gunmen have been surrounded by security forces on one of the floors in the parliament.

Deputy Chairman of Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, Abolfazl Hassan Beigi, told Mehr News that gunmen opened fire at people on the street from an open window on the fourth floor. During the shooting, eight people were injured and two were killed.

A suicide bomber has blown himself up on the fourth floor.

Ministry of Intelligence has confirmed the two attacks at the Parliament and Imam Khomeini Shrine as "terrorist attacks".

The open session of parliament has ended. Deputies attended the session despite the ongoing attack outside of the closed doors.


According to unconfirmed reports, ISIS has claimed the responsibility of attacks to Parliament and Imam Khomeini mausoleum.

Two civilians shot during the attack, one 50 and the other 37 years old, have died at the hospital. 31 injured have been hospitalized so far. 

All deputies have left the parliament unharmed. 


Apparently coordinated with the Parliament attack, several armed assailants entered the grounds of Khomeini’s mausoleum in the south of the Tehran, according to the ISNA news agency.

At least eight people were wounded in the attacks, according to the reports.

An official at Khomeini’s mausoleum in south Tehran said "three or four" people had entered via the western entrance and opened fire, killing the gardener and wounding several people, according to the Fars news agency.

Fars said a female suicide attacker blew herself up outside the mausoleum and published photos showing the explosion.

Four men armed with rifles and a pistol were reported to be inside the parliamentary complex, around 20 kilometres away in the centre of the city.

Tasnim news agency said one of the men had later left the building and was firing in the street, but was forced back inside by police fire. (EVRENSEL DAILY)